Across City departments, and in conjunction with community partners, Abbotsford has made strides in implementing an effective community response in working together to help make Abbotsford safer.
5 Cornerstones that form the Basis of the Crime Reduction and Community Safety Strategy
- Children, Youth and Family Engagement - Healthy children, youth, and families are the building blocks to strong communities. Early intervention and education are key factors in promoting good decision making.
- Neighborhood Capacity Building - Prosperous neighborhoods provide opportunities for greater personal safety, reduced property crime, and building strong relationships with other neighbors and local governments.
- Housing and Social Policy Development - Access to clean, safe and affordable hosing, along with necessary social services facilitates the strengthening of a community’s social fabric, and contributes to a stronger and ultimately safer community.
- Bylaw Enforcement and Civic Pride - Civic pride has the ability to discourage litter, graffiti and criminal activity, which inevitably contributes to community improvement and an atmosphere for volunteerism and personal responsibility.
- CPTED and Target Hardening - Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design and target hardening can provide tangible solutions to many immediate crime and safety concerns. They can also provide a starting place for neighborhood interaction through the use of neighborhood crime audits or CPTED assessments.