The City of Abbotsford’s 2019-2022 Strategic Plan provides the foundation for aligning all municipal planning decisions; provides direction for municipal business plans and budgets; and enables City staff to continually monitor progress toward desired outcomes. It is the City’s roadmap for service, project and program delivery, ensuring the City of Abbotsford is purposefully moving forward as one organization.
The Strategic Plan sets out the Vision, Mission and Values for the City of Abbotsford:
VISION: The City of Abbotsford is the Hub of the Fraser Valley. As the regional centre of the Fraser Valley, Abbotsford will be home to centralized services and agencies including health care, courts, transportation, university, airport, provincial and federal government, entertainment & cultural facilities, and commerce. We are diverse, inclusive, and connected; we are green, prosperous, and healthy; we are a vibrant and beautiful community.
We strive to continually improve the quality of life within our community by delivering key services for current and future generations.
By living its values the City of Abbotsford strives to be an organization recognized for its excellence in city governance and employee, citizen and customer relations. To provide excellence in service delivery, we have a role in understanding our business and fostering a corporate culture that sets the highest standard of integrity, professionalism and ethical behavior. We act with character and integrity and do our best to understand the perspectives of Abbotsford residents while delivering services.
- Respect: We respect others.
- Integrity: We act with character. We are fair, ethical and honest.
- Openness: We are accessible, accountable and transparent.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: We welcome and encourage the opinions and expertise of our residents, businesses and other stakeholders.
- Inclusivity: We honour and celebrate our diversity and seek to engage citizens in our decisions.
- Trust: We continuously build trust with our staff, the community and our stakeholders. We are proactive in practicing our values.
The Strategic Plan will be used by the City of Abbotsford in the following ways:
- Align all Municipal planning decisions: All City activities will be guided by the Cornerstones identified in the Strategic Plan. Council’s evolving priorities and other corporate initiatives will provide the inputs to the revision of Strategic Plan Cornerstones and Principles.
- Provide direction for departmental business plans and budgets: The Strategic Plan will guide departmental business planning and budgeting efforts. The strategies, actions and initiatives of departments, along with departments’ budgets will be aligned to achieve the Cornerstones of the Strategic Plan.
- Continually monitor progress towards desired outcomes: The 190+ priority actions for implementation that are identified in this document are the key issues that Council and Administration of the City of Abbotsford will focus on for 2019-2022. Each Council Cornerstone is accompanied by a statement of desired outcome, a listing of Principles and corresponding Council Direction. We will use performance results to evaluate our progress and help to inform Council’s cycle of decision-making. To measure our success we will establish key performance indicators and targets for the issues being addressed.
Structurally, the 2019-2022 Strategic Plan sets out the goals, priorities and actions for the City through 4 Cornerstones which reflect a balanced approach to the municipal organizational planning process. Each Cornerstone has a statement of description followed by Principles and Priority Actions items:
The City of Abbotsford is a regional hub of creativity and innovation where talent, investment and business thrive.View Principles and Priorities
The City of Abbotsford is a community of inclusive, safe, green neighbourhoods, connected to convenient and affordable transportation and vibrant commercial centres, built on the foundation of our cultural heritage and natural beauty.View Principles and Priorities
The City of Abbotsford is transparent and accountable to citizens, information is easily accessible and residents are well informed on Council priorities.View Principles and Priorities
The City of Abbotsford has strong consistent governance and aligned operations. View Principles and Priorities
Below is a list of the completed priority items from 2019-2020:
- Updated the Economic Development Strategy
- Developed Intergovernmental Relations Advocacy Strategy
- Completed the Special Study Areas Review
- Completed the update of the Affordable Housing Strategy
- Updated the Homelessness in Abbotsford Action Plan
- Updated the Diversity Strategy
- Completed the Green Fleet Strategy
- Launched the online Community Engagement Portal (Let's Talk Abbotsford)
- Developed Bylaw Compliance Strategy
- Developed Employee Engagement Strategy
- Developed Customer Culture Strategy
- Conducted Agencies, Board and Committees Review
The following current priorities have been identified by Abbotsford City Council for 2021:
- Establish Regional Partnerships Strategy
- Implement Land Strategy
- Secure grant for Abbotsford Water Source Project - Collector Wells
- Support development of the Abbotsford International Airport
- Complete AgRefresh Project
- Update Joint Use Agreements with Abbotsford School District
- Develop Land Strategy
- Develop Urban Forestry Strategy
- Develop Green Civic Buildings Strategy
- Complete Transit Maintenance Facility
- Establish Transit Hub
- Complete Ledgeview Golf Course Clubhouse
- Establish Arena Services & Infrastructure Strategy
- Create APD Building Renovation Strategy
- Establish Location for Fire Hall #6 with Social Housing
- Develop Culture Strategy
- Continue with implementation of Designated Community Framework
- Develop Asset Management Strategy
- Update Development Cost Charge (DCC) Bylaw
- Increase Online & Social Media Engagement
- Update Parks & Facilities Allocation Policy
- Develop 25 Year Long-Term Financial
- Plan with Reserves Balancing
- Complete Development Process Review (Building Permits)
- Update Development Services Bylaw
- Update Zoning Bylaw (Administrative, Residential, Parking and Density Bonus/CAC)
- Complete Digital Strategy
- Update COVID-19 Operational Plans
- Continue Implementation of the Customer Culture Strategy
- Update Employee Engagement Strategy
- Develop Succession Plans
An important step in the Strategic Planning process will be the development of key measurement indicators. Performance measures that support the goals articulated under each of the 4 Cornerstones and report on the City’s progress will provide ongoing feedback and support further planning, budgeting and management decisions. These indicators will also fulfill the City's Annual Report (published each year by June 30th) requirements to the Province as set out in the Community Charter.