The City of Abbotsford values and supports employees with their career development and life-long learning goals. We offer our employees a meaningful Total Rewards package including ongoing personal and professional development opportunities, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
Key to our ongoing success is providing an environment that is inclusive and maximizes the diverse talents, backgrounds and perspectives of all employees.
We are pleased to participate in BC's Municipal Pension Plan, one of the largest pension plans in Canada, providing secure retirement income to plan members living and working throughout British Columbia.
This valuable program provided by Homewood Health offers employees and their family members access to a full suite of counselling, self-development and lifestyle management services at no cost. Services are confidential and private.
Our comprehensive benefits package, provided by Pacific Blue Cross, offers coverage in extended health, dental and vision, as well as life insurance, disability and accident coverage.
The City of Abbotsford believes in an involved, safe and engaged workforce. Therefore a continuous improvement approach to employee development is critical to Abbotsford’s success and to the personal success of each employee. Delivering efficient and effective City services and programs is dependent on our individual and collective commitment to continual learning.
By investing in employees the City will:
- Enhance and retain a skilled and knowledgeable workforce qualified for future vacancies
- Increase the breadth and depth of current job competencies
- Increase productivity, job satisfaction, morale and motivation
- Attract skilled, experienced and knowledgeable talent
- Increase resilience when faced with organizational change
The City provides opportunities that support learning for employees through our annual corporate training calendar, departmental training and professional development.
As part of our Total Rewards package we also offer a range of work perks:
- Recognition Programs - We recognize employee contributions at all levels of achievement through formal and informal programs.
- Flexible Hours and Scheduling - We offer full-time, part-time and auxiliary employment opportunities to fit every lifestyle.
- Paid Time Off - We offer generous vacation time, voluntary time banking, sick leave including family illness as well as compassionate and bereavement leave.
- Reserved Carpool & Electric Charging stations - We provide free onsite parking for all staff as well as electric vehicle charging stations and reserved carpool spaces.
- Wellness Program - Our new Wellness Committee collaborates to identify, design, advocate for and drive Employee Wellness initiatives for all City employees. Wellness is viewed holistically including physical, emotional, mental and spiritual aspects.
- Fitt4U Pass - Through the FITT4U program, employees can access the Abbotsford Recreation Centre and Matsqui Recreation Centre free of charge. FITT4U pass holders can access the weight rooms, public swim and skate sessions as well as the drop-in land and water fitness classes.
The City of Abbotsford actively strives to be an employer of choice. We know that our employees are our most valuable resource and we are committed to promoting an engaged workforce by fostering an organizational culture of diversity, inclusion, continuous improvement, servant leadership and open communications. View the 2020 Employee Engagement Strategy.