Claims Against the City

Claims can arise from a variety of situations. The following are just a few common examples:

  • potholes and road damage
  • water damage
  • hazards caused by trees
  • sewer back-ups
  • trips and falls

What To Do When You Have a Claim

If your property requires repair, you should make repair arrangements as soon as possible. The City of Abbotsford does not repair damages on private property. As such, we recommend that you contact your insurance provider who may be able to assist you with your damage.

If you feel that the City of Abbotsford is responsible for your loss or damages, it must be submitted to the City in writing within two (2) months of the date of the loss or damage as required under Section 736 of the Local Government Act