The 2025 Tax Year Application Forms will be available on this webpage in March 2024.
Please submit application forms for the 2025 tax year by June 30, 2024.
A permissive tax exemption is a means for Council to support eligible organizations within the community that align with Council’s strategic goals and objectives. For a list of organizations approved for the 2023 Permissive Tax Exemption, please refer to the 2024 Bylaw: Permissive Tax Exemption Bylaw (2024).
- Extent of exemptions approved each year is dependent on the City’s annual budget. Council, at its discretion, may reject or cancel any or all applicants in a given year.
- Interested organizations are encouraged to review Council Policy C008-05, Permissive Property Tax Exemption prior to applying to ensure all eligibility criteria are met.
To be eligible for a permissive tax exemption, an organization must qualify under Section 224 of the Community Charter and comply with the City’s policies, plans, bylaws and regulations.
Organizations must contribute to the Abbotsford community and be a registered charity or society under one of the following categories:
- Place of worship
- Independent school
- Charitable, philanthropic or other not-for-profit organization
- Athletic or service club or association
- Community Care Facility
Abbotsford City Hall
32315 South Fraser Way
Abbotsford, BC V2T 1W7
The City will only process complete applications. Late applications will not be accepted.
Applications are required annually from all eligible organizations. For organizations currently receiving a permissive tax exemption, a renewal application is necessary to confirm ownership and property use has not changed.
The City will confirm receipt of applications by sending an email reply. If you do not receive a confirmation from the City within 5 business days of submitting your application, please contact the Property Tax Division.
Charity or not-for-profit organizations, community care facilities and athletic or service clubs must complete a Comprehensive Exemption Application every four (4) years, and must complete a Renewal Application in the interim years.
Places of worship and independent schools must complete a Comprehensive Exemption Application every ten (10) years, and must complete a Renewal Application in the interim years.
Comprehensive Exemption Application Forms
First-time applicants must complete one of the below forms:
- Comprehensive Permissive Tax Exemption Application – Places of Worship or Independent Schools
- Comprehensive Permissive Tax Exemption Application – Not-for-Profit Organizations, Community Care Facilities or Athletic/Service Clubs
Renewal Application Form
Applicants that received a permissive exemption in the current year must complete the form below, to be considered for an exemption in the upcoming tax year.
- Permissive Tax Exemption Renewal Application