2021 Municipal By-election Announced
The City of Abbotsford has announced that a municipal by-election will take place on September 25, 2021.
- Nomination Period Starts: Tuesday, August 10, 2021, at 9 am
- Nomination Period Ends: Friday, August 20, 2021, at 4 pm
Advanced Voting Days
- Wednesday, September 15, 2021, from 8 am to 8 pm at:
- Cascade Community Church (34190 DeLair Road)
- Columbia Bible College – Columbia Place/Gymnasium (2940 Clearbrook Road)
- Saturday, September 18, 2021, from 8 am to 8 pm at a person’s designated voting place
General Voting Day
- Saturday, September 25, 2021 from 8 am to 8 pm at a person’s designated voting place
Information and updates about the by-election will be available at www.abbotsford.ca/election, shared on the City of Abbotsford’s social media channels, and published in the Abbotsford News and Patrika. Voter notification cards advising people of their voting options will be sent to those on the List of Electors provided by Elections BC.
Chief Election Officer Gabryel Joseph advised, “While the pandemic protocols are lifting, we recognize safety and comfort levels of voters in our community may vary. As a result, all voters will have the ability to vote by mail-in ballot or in-person in advance or on general voting day.”
The Community Charter requires local governments to hold a by-election if a Councillor resigns their position before January 1 in the year of a general local election, which for British Columbia is January 1, 2022. Councillor Bruce Banman was elected to the Provincial Legislature in October 2020 as the Member of the Legislative Assembly for Abbotsford South and resigned his position with Abbotsford City Council on February 18, 2021 which necessitated the by-election to be held in 2021.
Chief Elections Officer
Communications and Public Relations Manager
City of Abbotsford