Flood Restoration Permits

In accordance with the City’s Building Bylaw, 2018, section 28, a building permit is needed when a residential dwelling exterior wall is stripped to the studs including replacing the insulation and vapour barrier. Additionally, if there are structural repairs needed to your building, a building permit is required. A building permit is not required to replace flooring, cabinetry, or removing drywall on interior partition walls.

Provided there are no structural repairs, most flood restoration building permits can be issued directly over the counter to the property owner or their agent. Buildings that require structural repairs will require a plan review by a building official prior to issuance of a permit and may take a few extra days. Work related to electrical and gas are not regulated by the City of Abbotsford, please visit technicalsafetybc.ca for electrical and gas permitting information.

Flood restoration building permits can be obtained by submitting the application form, with supporting documentation, in-person at Abbotsford City Hall Monday – Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm or submitted via email to building-info@abbotsford.ca. If you have questions on your flood restoration building permit, please feel free to contact us at 604-864-5525.