Career Firefighter Recruitment
Firefighting is a challenging, exciting, and fulfilling career. If you have a desire to serve the community, help others and thrive in a team oriented environment, becoming a firefighter might be the career for you!
The Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service is a customer focused team-based organization that is committed to reflecting the diversity of our City. Being a part of the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service will put you on the front line of protecting our City and enable you to contribute to a leading-edge team of first responders with a proven safety record.
2020 Career Recruitment – Posting closed on February 19, 2020.
- 2020 Career Firefighter Recruitment Application Manual
- Required Qualifications
- Recruitment Process
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Online Application
- Contact Us
Only the most qualified applicants will be chosen to move forward in the firefighter selection process.
Applications will be screened to ensure the following qualifications have been met. If you do not meet ALL of the required qualifications, please do not submit an application as it will be screened out.
You must be:
- At least 19 years of age on the date of your application
- Eligible for employment in Canada - You must be a Canadian citizen, a holder of a Permanent Resident Card, a Landed Immigrant or otherwise legally entitled to work in Canada (i.e., holder of a work visa).
- No criminal convictions, no adult criminal charges pending, related to employment, ability to obtain Vulnerable Sector Police Information Check clearance.
- A valid unrestricted Class 1, 2, or 3 Drivers Licence (or provincial equivalent) with Air Brakes endorsement (Automatic Only restriction is accepted) with no restrictions and a good driving record.
At the time you submit your application, you must provide the following documents verifying you have:
- Transcripts demonstrating high school diploma completion or equivalency. Equivalencies can include:
- General Educational Development (High School Equivalency Diploma); or
- An undergraduate/applied degree or journeyman certificate; or
- Completed two years of a recognized apprenticeship program
- A current First Responder Licence with Spinal and AED or greater (e.g. EMR or PCP Licensing)
- A Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certificate (valid in last 12 months)
- Completion of NFPA 1001 Level 2 with HazMat Operations
- A current driver’s abstract (dated no more than 30 days prior to the recruitment competition). The abstract should demonstrate responsible and safe driving behavior.
It is applicant’s responsibility to keep all licences current through the 2020 recruitment process, and all costs associated with obtaining and maintaining these licences are at the applicant’s expense.
The recruitment process for the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service has been broken down into nine (9) different stages.
- Stage 1 - Application and Pre-Screening
- Stage 2 - Written Test - National Fire Select Test (NFST)
- Stage 3 - Occupational Skills Assessment
- Stage 4 - Interviews
- Stage 5 - Ride-along
- Stage 6 - Reference Checks, Police Information Check & Vulnerable Sector Search
- Stage 7 - Fire Chief Meeting
- Stage 8 - Conditional Offer
- Stage 9 - Pre-Employment Medical Evaluation and Psychometric Assessment
All applicants will be notified during the process if they will be moving on to the next stage via email. It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure email addresses are valid and up-to-date and computer firewalls/security is set up to accept emails from the City. It is the candidate’s responsibility to check emails on a regular basis as there are deadlines issued for payment and scheduling. All testing stages are in person, and cannot be faxed, emailed or taken online
If you possess the skills, knowledge, experience and drive to be a part of an integral team, complete an online application form with resume at www.abbotsford.ca/careers.
The City of Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service appreciates all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted via email to proceed to the next stage.
Thank you very much for applying for Firefighter position with Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service.
All questions and inquiries should be directed to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.