A canvassing permit is required for all fundraising campaigns in the City of Abbotsford.
- Requests must be submitted, in writing, to the Licence Inspector, at least three (3) weeks before the event, and include the name of the registered charity, the purpose for which the proceeds are to be used, the area of canvass, and the duration of the of the campaign.
- Applications received from organizations, which are not on the “List of Council Approved Campaigns”, as set out in Schedule “C”, or propose significant changes, must be submitted to Council for consideration.
- Approval will be given only to organizations registered as a charity; and, if requested, they must issue valid receipts for income tax purposes for all donations.
- Campaigns in the name of registered charities must not involve commission sales by third parties.
- Each campaign will be limited to one (1) two-week period per year, and canvasses must not overlap in any area of the City. All canvassers must carry a copy of the approval while canvassing, and if requested, allow it to be viewed by the public.
- Door-to-door solicitation is not permitted on Sundays.
- A monthly calendar of approved canvasses will be forwarded to the Chief Constable.
For more information, please email the Business Licence Division or call 604-864-5525.