Special Event Permit
- How to Start Planning an Event
- Community Events Resource Manual
- Special Event Application Form & Bylaws
- Special Events Grant
- Highways Use Permit
- Temporary Food Permit
- Mobile Food Trucks
- Marketing and Promotions of Special Events
- Serving Alcohol at your Event
- Invite Mayor & Council to Event
- Fire Rescue Special Events Approval
How to Start Planning an Event
Are you planning an event and not sure where to start? Do you need information on bylaws, permits, booking capacities, equipment rentals and locations? The City's Special Events Coordinator can provide helpful tools and advice you need to host a successful event. Contact the Special Events Coordinator if you are planning an event that is:
- open to the public or to which the public has been invited to attend;
- held outdoors either in whole or in part;
- likely to be attended, or which may reasonably be expected to be attended by 200 or more;
- and/or planning on having a beverage garden.
For further information, contact 604-557-1473. Let us help you make your event a safe and successful one!
The City of Abbotsford has a variety of facilities that might be perfect for your event. Learn more about available facilities and rental rates.
Community Events Resource Manual
Special Event Application & Bylaw
The Special Event Permit process helps to ensure that City of Abbotsford Departments, which may be required to provide services, are aware of and prepared for potential conditions arising from the event. The application fee for a Special Events permit is $100. Please also be aware of the applicable bylaws when planning your event:
- Outdoor Special Events Bylaw No. 2513-2016
- Good Neighbour Bylaw No. 1256-2003
- Street and Traffic Bylaw No. 1536-2006
Special Events Grant
The City of Abbotsford awards grants to groups who can demonstrate, through the event, that they provide significant economic benefits and/or community pride to Abbotsford. The grants are available on a one-time basis only to the limit of the annual City budget and are on a first come, first served basis until funding is exhausted.
Highways Use Permit
Where an event includes the use/encroachment of City Property, including streets, sidewalks, and other public space, as per Street and Traffic Bylaw No. 1536-2006, a Highway Use Permit must be obtained from the Engineering Department.
Temporary Food Permit
Where an event includes preparing or serving food to the participants or general public, a Temporary Food Permit must be obtained from the Fraser Health Authority.
Mobile Food Trucks
All mobile food vendors must obtain a City of Abbotsford Business Licence. For more information, contact the Business Licence Division at 604-864-5525 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mobile Vending helpful hints.
Marketing and Promotions of Special Events
Marketing your event is an important aspect to success. The City offers the following opportunities for marketing community events:
- Advertising on our City of Abbotsford Special Events calendar
- Promoting your event through distributing events posters, registration packages, etc. at our facilities
- Assisting you by providing information on where you can post signs
Please contact email@example.com
Serving Alcohol at your Event
If you are planning to serve or sell alcohol at your event you will need Special Occasion Licence from the BC Liquor Control Board. If your event is outdoors you will also need an outdoor Special Event Permit from the City of Abbotsford
Invite Mayor & Council to Event
Please fill out the online form to invite Mayor & Council to your event.