Regional Forum on Housing Best Practices
Register now for the 2019 Housing and Homelessness Forum
Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 8:30am-4:30pm
- Regional Forum on Housing Best Practices
- Welcome and Introduction
- Best Practice Panel
- Collective Impact and Homelessness
- How to Help People Who Don’t Have a Home
On October 15, 2015 the "Regional Forum on Housing Best Practices" was held at the University of the Fraser Valley. The event was sponsored funded in part by the City of Abbotsford, Government of Canada's Homelessness Partnering Strategy’s Innovative Solutions to Homelessness, the University of the Fraser Valley, BC Housing and the Fraser Valley Regional District.
Local and regional experts as well as Housing First practitioners explored best practices and proactive directions to support collective action. The forum included:
- Housing First Best practice panel of experts,
- world café dialogue and
- keynote presentation note presentation on collective impact
Mayor Henry Braun and Councillor Dave Loewen -Chair of the Homelessness Advisory Action Committee - City of Abbotsford,
Housing First Principles (5 Principles of Housing First)
Landlord Procurement and Intensive Case Management
Laura Caron, Director of Clinical Services, RainCity Housing and Support Society
- View the workbook and facilitators guide referred to by the presenter and individual videos on each of the 5 housing first principles:
- A future workshop is being consideration on the topic of Intensive Case Management.
- Resource videos are available on the Rain City Website
Role of Outreach and Shelters in Housing First Approach
Wes Everaars, Director of Development and Jodi Sturge, Deputy Director, Lookout Society
- Following the panel, the audience participated in a world café. View the findings document for the world café
Alice Sundberg, Housing and Community Development Consultant
- View the article referenced by the presenter in the video regarding collective impact
- The I Heart Home video feature on the Calgary Homelessness Foundation was also played as part of the presentation material.
Video of artwork by grade 2 and 3 students of Abbotsford Christian Elementary School, in answer to the question: how to help people who don't have a home.