City Of Abbotsford  
Water - Gravel Pits

Environment FAQs

Development Permits

Erosion & Sediment Control


Reporting Violations

Water Quality

Fish & Wildlife

Air Quality


What are the guidelines for Natural Environmental Development Permits and Steep Slope Development Permits?

Natural Environmental Development Permit guidelines can be found in Part V Section 6 of the Official Community Plan

Steep Slope Development Permits guidelines can be found in Part V Section 7 of the Official Community Plan.

Back to top

Where can I find information on the City’s Streamside Protection Bylaw No. 1465-2005?

General information can be found in the Living Near Streams and Ravines booklet, while more detailed information can be found in the Information Package for Developing Near Streams and Ravines.

Back to top

How do I report Environmental Violations?

Contact Fisheries and Oceans Canada - Observe Record and Report (ORR) at 1-800-465-4336.  Common violations reported to Fisheries and Oceans Canada include:

  • exceeding the daily fishing limit
  • fishing in a closed area
  • using illegal gear
  • damage to fish habitat and pollution

Contact the BC Ministry of Environment - Report all Poachers & Polluters (RAPP) line at 1-877-952-7277 to report known or suspected poachers and polluters of fish, wildlife, or natural areas.

Contact the Provincial Emergency Management Program at 1-800-663-3456 to report hazardous material and oil spills.

Back to top

Where can I get information on Water Quality / Quantity?  

Back to top

Where can I get information on Fish and Fish Habitat?

Back to top

How does the City protect wildlife?

 A number of areas within the City are designated as Environmental Development Permit (EDP) areas. EDP areas are parts of the City that are relatively undeveloped or “greenfield”. If development is proposed within the EDP area, a permit must be obtained from the City. The intent of an EDP is to protect the natural environment, including environmentally sensitive habitats, significant stands of vegetation, watercourses, and areas downstream; protect development from hazardous conditions, such as unstable slopes; and control erosion and sediment. For sites greater than 2.0 hectares in size, a detailed vegetation inventory and wildlife assessment is required, and results are factored into development planning. More information can be found in the Wildlife Assessment Guidelines.​

Back to top

Where can I get information on Wildlife and Wildlife Habitat?

Back to top

How do I report a Dangerous Wildlife sighting?

As a public safety provider, the Ministry of Environment Conservation Officer Service is focused on responding to human wildlife conflicts. If you observe dangerous wildlife in an urban area involved in any of the following, please report the incident to the Conservation Officer Service 24 hour toll free line at 1-877-952-7277:

  • Accessing garbage or other human supplied food sources
  • Instances where wildlife cannot be easily scared off
  • Dangerous wildlife is in a public location like a city park or school during daylight hours
  • When a cougar or wolf is seen in a urban area

Observing dangerous wildlife in the woods, back country, forested areas or a wildlife interface is normal. We recommend that anyone spending time in these areas should ensure that they are familiar with how to react should they encounter dangerous wildlife. The BC Ministry of Environment's website provides conservation information and best practices for interacting with wildlife.
The Wildsafe BC website hosts an interactive map with all current sightings.

Back to top

What Species-At-Risk are found in Abbotsford?

There is an abundance of wildlife in the City of Abbotsford and many endangered species of plants and animals are found here, including over 40 species classified as at-risk with 22 species currently listed on the federal Species at Risk Act. Over 30 of these species-at-risk are located on Sumas Mountain which is well-known both regionally and provincially as a biodiversity hotspot. More information on species-at-risk can be found on our Species at Risk webpage.

Back to top

What Invasive Species are commonly found in Abbotsford?

Non-native species are plant or animal species that have evolved elsewhere and have been relocated (purposely or accidentally) outside of their native range. When non-native species persist, proliferate, and cause environmental and/or economic harm, or harm to human health they are considered Invasive Species. Examples of Invasive Species in the Abbotsford area include Scotch broom (plant), brown bullhead (fish), European starling (bird), American bullfrog (amphibian), and gray squirrel (mammal). If you suspect you have found an invasive species, please report it online.

More information on Invasive Species that are found in BC and the Fraser Valley can be found on the following websites:

Back to top

What is the West Nile Virus?

West Nile Virus (WNV) is a virus that is found in both tropical and temperate regions of the globe. It mainly infects birds, but is known to infect humans, horses, dogs, cats, bats, chipmunks, skunks, squirrels, and domestic rabbits. The main route of human infection is through the bite of an infected mosquito.

The City of Abbotsford relies on the Fraser Valley Regional District 's mosquito control program to address this issue.

Back to top

What is the Air Quality Health Index?

The Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) provides information to help residents protect their health on a daily basis from the negative effects of air pollution. More information about air quality and the current index ratings for Abbotsford is available from the Air Quality Health Index - Central Fraser Valley, BC.

Back to top

Who oversees Air Quality Management Planning?

The Fraser Valley Regional District oversees a regional air quality program designed to reduce emissions and improve air quality. For more information visit the Air Quality Program at the FVRD.

Back to top

How is Air Quality in Abbotsford monitored?

In addition to the Air Quality Health Index, a more traditional Air Quality Index (AQI) is also developed for Abbotsford based on the information collected at the air quality monitoring station located at Mill Lake Park. Air contaminants such as carbon monoxide, fine particulate matter and ozone are used to construct the AQI. The current AQI and levels of air contaminants, are available from the “Abbotsford Central” link, at Metro Vancouver, Air Quality Index.

Back to top

Who enforces Emissions and Air Pollution in Abbotsford?

Air emissions and air pollution are within the authority of the BC Ministry of Environment under the Environmental Management Act. The Environmental Protection Division of the Lower Mainland Region (office located in Surrey) is specifically responsible for the Abbotsford area.

Back to top

Where can I get information on Climate and Air Quality?

Back to top