Curbside Collection Program Changes
- About the Upcoming Changes to the Curbside Collection Program
- Stage 1 – Initial Plan Approval
- Stage 2 - Finalize Program Requirements
- Stage 3 - Education and Support
- Stage 4 – Program Implementation
- Engage on Curbside 2020 - Let's Talk Abbotsford
- Contact Us
Abbotsford City Council has approved the implementation of a new Solid Waste Operations Master Plan. The new Plan outlines several changes to the curbside collection program to align with Council’s 2019-2022 Strategic Plan and will provide more efficient delivery of program services, improve worker health and safety, and potentially lead to additional collection services for residents. The major change will be adopting a cart-based, automatic collection system, where residents are provided three carts; one each for recycling, compostables and garbage. Recycling pick-up will change to every other week from the current weekly pick-up. Garbage will continue to be picked up every other week, and compostables will be picked up weekly. City collection crews will continue to collect curbside material on the west side of the City and contractor collection crews will collect material on the east side of the City. The City will also be undertaking a comprehensive cost analysis on what it costs to collect glass and large oversized items such as furniture and mattresses.
The changes to the curbside collection program are expected to be operational by spring 2021, with the time frame being primarily driven by truck procurement timelines. An official start date for the new program will be announced once delivery timelines have been solidified for the new collection vehicles. Residents will be informed well in advance of any changes. New information will be posted to this webpage as it becomes available. View FAQs for changes coming to the curbside collection program.
Stage 1 is now complete. The Solid Waste Operations Master Plan was presented to and approved by Council in the Executive Meeting on July 22, 2019. A copy of the report and meeting minutes are provided below.
Stage 2 is currently in progress. The Solid Waste Operations Master Plan approved by Council in Stage 1 will be used to help develop program requirements.
The following tasks have been completed as part of Stage 2:
- Awarded the contract to manufacture and deliver six new curbside collection vehicles that are designed for automated collect
ENG 008-2020 Award of RFP 1220-2019-2313B – Supply and Delivery of Automated Garbage Trucks
Council Minutes – April 6, 2020
- Awarded the contract for contractor collection services for curbside material on the east side of Abbotsford
ENG 007-2020, Award of RFP 1220-2019-2313C – East Abbotsford Garbage Collection Contract Award
Council Minutes – April 6, 2020
- Determined cart program will be operational by spring 2021
Progress continues to be made on the following tasks:
- Finalize program details including, but not limited to, the number and size of carts that will be provided, how to manage additional curbside material, and what approach to take with secondary suites
- Finalize program implementation timeline
- Order carts designed for the automated collection of curbside recycling, compostables and garbage
- Obtain pricing for monthly glass collection and large item pick-up service and report back to Council on actual costs and user fee impacts
- Evaluate collection routes for efficiency of service and identify needs for optimization
The City is continuing to develop program requirements and will have more information available in the coming months. It is anticipated that the new program will be implemented in spring 2021, with the time frame being primarily driven by truck procurement timelines. Residents will be informed well in advance of any changes. Updated information will be provided as the Stage 2 tasks are completed.
During stage 3, focus will be placed on providing education and support to residents in preparation for program implementation. Information will be provided during this stage regarding a variety of topics such as cart sizes, cart delivery schedule, curbside cart placement requirements, collection schedule changes, etc.
Program implementation will focus on education and support. The implementation timeline will be determined during Stage 2.
- Solid Waste Operations Master Plan
- July 23, 2019 – Information Bulletin
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Virtual Touch A Truck Event Video (automated collection trucks shown at 12:10 in video)
- Waste Wizard – What Goes Where (also available for smart phones through the Abbotsford Curbside Collection App at the App Store or on Google Play)
As the project moves forward, this webpage will be updated to reflect our progress, so please continue to check back.
Engage with Us!
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us or provide your feedback on Let's Talk Abbotsford Curbside 2021.
Engineering & Regional Utilities