City Of Abbotsford  
City Hall - Back Fountains

Claims Against the City

Claims Against the City

Claims can arise from a variety of situations. The following are just a few common examples:

  • potholes
  • water damage
  • sewer back-ups
  • trips and falls

Back to top

What To Do When You Have a Claim

If your property requires repair, you should make repair arrangements as soon as possible. The City of Abbotsford does not repair damages on private property. As such, we recommend that you contact your insurance provider who may be able to assist you with your damage.

Back to top

How to Submit a Claim

If you feel that the City of Abbotsford is responsible for your loss or damages, it must be submitted to the City in writing within two (2) months of the date of the loss or damage as required under Section 736 of the Local Government Act. 

Your written notice must include:

  • date
  • time
  • location, and
  • manner in which the loss or damage occurred. 
  • your name
  • your address (if different from the loss location)
  • telephone number where you can be reached during the day
  • e-mail address (optional)

For fastest service, attach any supporting documents and email them to the City.

Alternatively, you may send the notice by regular mail to:

City of Abbotsford
Attention: Risk Management & Legal Services
32315 South Fraser Way
Abbotsford, BC V2T 1W7

Finally, if you prefer, you may provide a detailed voice message with the information above at 604-864-5577.

Back to top

What Happens After You Submit a Claim

Once your claim is received, it will be investigated and you will be contacted. Please note that the initial investigation can take 4 to 6 weeks, perhaps longer depending on the complexity of the claim.

To ensure prompt, detailed and impartial service, the City may engage the services of an external claims adjuster to assist with the investigation of a claim. The City’s current claims adjuster is ClaimsPro LP.

The City’s Risk Management and Legal Services department will make a decision upon the completion of the investigation, and you will be notified in writing of the City’s decision.

Claims made against the City are not paid unless, in the opinion of legal counsel, there is a liability exposure. All claims will be investigated without passion or prejudice, utilizing the facts as they reveal themselves and standard legal practices and principles.

We are committed to the principle of settlements that are fair and reasonable within standard industry and legal practices. Claimants can expect to be treated courteously and respectfully and in a business-like manner.

If a claimant wishes to appeal a claims decision, they may do so through the Civil Resolution Tribunal (for claims up to $5,000), the Provincial Court of British Columbia (for claims up to $35,000) or the Supreme Court of British Columbia (for claims over $35,000).

Back to top

What the City is Not Liable For

Be aware that the City is not responsible for damages caused by faulty utilities on private property. If your property is damaged from a water source, contact your insurance provider. Property owners are responsible for sewer and rain and drain pipes located on their side of the property line, as well as water pipes starting at the service valve near their property line.

Note that the City is not legally responsible to ensure that its roads are always free of defects or hazards such as potholes. If your vehicle is damaged due to potholes or road hazards, contact your insurance provider.

Back to top