As the population of Abbotsford grows to 200,000 people, the City is working to ensure we meet the needs of a growing city and that we ensure our Transit system is matched to where the growth of the population is expected, and that the routes and frequency match what the residents and businesses need.
Transit has tremendous potential to contribute to more economically vibrant, livable, and sustainable communities. The need to realize this potential in Abbotsford and Mission is increasingly important because of factors such as climate change, population growth, an aging demographic and mobility for individuals who do not have access to a private automobile.
Abbotsford’s Official Community Plan (OCP), adopted in June 2016, provides a vision and a framework for how Abbotsford will grow to a population of 200,000. We are now reviewing and updating existing Master Plans and Studies to ensure all of our future operations, development, infrastructure, services, amenities and programs align with the vision set out in our OCP.
The objective of the Transit Master Plan is to envision the transit network 25 years from now and describe the services, infrastructure, and investments that are required to achieve the vision. The current Transit Plan was completed in 2013.
STAGE 1 - BACKGROUND RESEARCH
We have concluded work on Stage 1 and have moved to our next phase where we will explore new options, and priorities for the future of Transit in the City of Abbotsford.
- Council Report ENG 118-2017 Transportation and Transit Master Plan - Stage 1 Background
- Transportation Master Plan - Council Presentation
STAGE 2 - EXPLORING OPTIONS
How many routes should we have? Where should they go? How frequent should they be? These are some of the types of questions we will be coming to you with!
- 2017-12-18 Transportation and Transit Master Plan Council Presentation
- Transportation and Transit Master Plans Stage 2 Open House Questionnaire
STAGE 3 - DRAFT PLAN
We compiled the research and feedback we receive from stage 2, which forms the base of our Draft Plan. This is your Abbotsford, and it is important that the Transit Master Plan is for the future that you envision!
- 2018-04-23 Abbotsford Transit and Transportation Master Plan Presentation
- 2018-04-20 DRAFT Transportation and Transit Master Plan
STAGE 4 - FINAL PLAN
The final master plan was adopted by Council on June 25th, 2018
- 2018-04-20 Transportation and Transit Master Plan
- VIDEO - View the Transit Master Plan Highlight Video
- AWARD - The Transportation and Transit Master Plan wins Transportation Project of the Year by the Canadian Institute of Transportation Engineers