As the population of Abbotsford grows to 200,000 people, the City is working to ensure our wastewater services, systems and infrastructure meet the needs of a growing population.
The City of Abbotsford’s wastewater system services the City’s urban development area (120,000 population) and the City of Sumas, Washington (1,000 population).
Abbotsford’s Official Community Plan (OCP), adopted in June 2016, provides a vision and a framework for how Abbotsford will grow to a population of 200,000. We are now reviewing and updating existing Master Plans and Studies to ensure all of our future operations, development, infrastructure, services, amenities and programs align with the vision set out in our OCP.
The wastewater system generally flows from south to north to the Joint Abbotsford Mission Environmental System (JAMES) wastewater treatment plant. The JAMES plant is located on the south side of the Fraser River. The system includes approximately 550 km of sewer mains, ranging in size from 50 mm diameter to 1,800 mm diameter, and 32 pump stations. Generally, the infrastructure is in good condition. The oldest sewer is approximately 59 years old and approximately 55% of the collection system is less than 30 years old.
STAGE 1 - BACKGROUND REVIEW AND DATA ASSESSMENT
We have concluded work on Stage 1 and have moved to our next phase where we will explore new options, and priorities for the future of City Wastewater infrastructure and services.
- Master Plan Utilities Presentation - 2017
- Council Report ENG 106-2017 - Utilities Master Plans (City Sewer/City Water/Drainage) Stage 1 - Background
STAGE 2 - ANALYSIS AND EVALUATION
We are currently working on analyzing and evaluating the information gathered from our background research!
STAGE 3 - DRAFT PLAN
We will compile the results from stage 1 and 2 as well as the feedback we receive, which will form the base of our Draft Plan.
- City Utilities - Open House Boards Feb 2018 - Overview
- City Utilities - Open House Boards Feb 2018
- 2018-04-24 - City Utilities - Open House Information Boards
STAGE 4 - FINAL PLAN
The Final Master Plan was adopted by City Council on June 11, 2018.
- June 11, 2018 - Utilities - Stage 4 - Executive Committee Presentation
- Utilities Master Plans - Drainage - Wastewater - Water - Final Report 2018
- 2018-06-11 - City Wastewater Master Plan Technical Report