Freedom of Information
Information is routinely available to the public. The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (The Act) regulates what information is collected and controlled by public bodies in British Columbia and requires the City to provide at least partial access to most records with a few exceptions.
Examples of information that is routinely available
- Annual Reports
- Board of Variance agenda and minutes
- Business Licences (issued)
- City Budget
- Community Plans and Studies
- Corporate and Administrative Policies
- Council agenda and minutes (Open meetings)
- Council Committees agenda and minutes
- Property Information (Zoning, Development Applications, Taxes and Utilities)
- Staff reports to Open Council meetings
If you cannot find what you are looking for on the website, please contact us for further assistance.
Start your search with an Informal Request
Before you make a formal request for access to records, try contacting the departments that may have the information you are seeking. You will be advised whether a formal request is needed.
City of Abbotsford Department Contacts:
|Abbotsford Airport||604-855-1001||Contact Page|
|Abbotsford Police Department||604-859-5225||Contact Page|
|Building Permits and Licencesfirstname.lastname@example.org
|Engineering & Regional Utilitiesemail@example.com
|Finance & Corporate Servicesfirstname.lastname@example.org
|Fire Rescue Servicesemail@example.com
|Operations Yard (Public Works)||firstname.lastname@example.org
|Parks, Recreation, & Cultureemail@example.com
|Planning & Development Servicesfirstname.lastname@example.org
Freedom of Information Requests
If the information you are seeking is not routinely available, a written request will be required to access the records in the City's custody and control.
Your request for records may be subject to fees. We will provide you with an estimate prior to processing your request.
The Act allows 30 business days for the City to respond to your request.
To make a formal request for records:
- Complete the Request for Access to Records (FOI) Form; or
- Provide correspondence (letter, e-mail, etc) stating that you are making a Freedom of Information request. Please ensure you include:
- Contact information
- Detailed description of which records are being requested
- Timeline for the records you are requesting (i.e. 2014-2016)
Note: For additional information on the request process, see the link below.
To submit a Freedom of Information request, or for further information, please contact:
Information and Privacy Coordinator
5th Floor, Abbotsford City Hall
32315 South Fraser Way
Abbotsford, BC V2T 1W7