2018 General Local Election
- Important Dates
- Thinking of Running for Abbotsford City Council?
- Candidate Information
- Election Workers Application
- Are You On the Voters List?
- Resources and Links
- Contact Information
The next General Local Election will take place on Saturday, October 20, 2018. Join your community in electing one Mayor, eight Councillors and seven School Trustees for Abbotsford School District #34.
|| January 1, 2018 to September 21, 2018
|| September 4, 2018 to September 14, 2018
|| September 22, 2018 to October 20, 2018
|General Voting Day
|| October 20, 2018
|Financial Disclosure Statement Deadline
|| January 18, 2019
Pre-Nomination City Council Candidate Orientation Session
The City of Abbotsford will be hosting a Pre-Nomination City Council Candidate Orientation Session for those interested in running for the office of Mayor or Councillor.
Wednesday, August 29, 2018
3:00 - 4:00pm
Room 530 - 5th Floor
Abbotsford City Hall
32315 South Fraser Way
On October 20, 2018, Abbotsford voters will elect:
- 1 Mayor
- 8 Councillors
- 7 School Trustees
To run in the election you must:
- be 18 years of age or older on General Voting Day;
- be a Canadian citizen;
- have lived in BC for at least 6 months immediately before the day nomination papers are filed; and
- not be disqualified by law from being nominated, elected, or holding office.
For more information on being a candidate, please refer to the Province of BC's Candidate's Guide to Local Elections 2018.
Candidate Nomination Packages are now available online for downloading:
If you are unable to access the files online, a copy of the package may be picked up at the Abbotsford Election Office, 5th Floor, City Hall, 32315 South Fraser Way, Abbotsford, BC.
Candidate nomination packages can only be filed during the Nomination Period of September 4, 2018 at 9:00am to September 14, 2018 at 4:00 pm at the Abbotsford Election Office, 5th Floor, City Hall, 32315 South Fraser Way, Abbotsford, BC. Originals of faxed or emailed nomination documents must be received by the Chief Election Officer by no later than 4:30pm on Friday, September 21, 2018.
Elector organizations are organizations that endorse or intend to endorse a candidate(s) in a Municipal Election. Subject to the restrictions set out in legislation, an elector organization has its name, abbreviation, or acronym shown on the ballot beside its endorsed candidate's name. Learn more about elector organizations.
Important: All candidates and elector organizations are required to complete a Statement of Disclosure, per the Provincial Financial Disclosure Act and Local Elections Campaign Financing Act. For more information, refer to the Local Elections Guides provided by Elections BC. After the election, candidates and elector organizations must fully disclose individuals or organizations that financed their campaigns, in accordance with applicable legislation.
Email Updates:: From time to time, the City or the Province may revise or update election material, including forms, etc. If you would like to be notified of any such changes, please send an email to ElectionOffice@abbotsford.ca, with "Election Update Advisory Request" in the subject line of the email.
Election Workers Application
The City of Abbotsford is hiring election workers for the upcoming 2018 General Local Election.
We rely on over 300 members of the community to help deliver election services.
Due to the volume of applications received, only successful candidates may be contacted.
- Legally able to work in Canada
- 18 years of age or older
- Must successfully complete specific training sessions for your assigned role, anticipated to take place Saturday, October 6, 2018
- Attention to detail and strong customer services skills required
- Computer knowledge and ability will be a requirement for most of the positions
- Fluency in English required, other languages an asset
- Preference given to Abbotsford residents with past election experience
- Must not be related to a candidate, or an active member of an election campaign, electoral organization, or political team.
If you are interested in joining the 2018 Election Team, complete the online application.
Are you eligible to vote in the October 20, 2018 General Local Election for the City of Abbotsford and the Abbotsford School District? Is your name on the current list of electors?
If you are not sure, you can find out by visiting the City of Abbotsford Election Office, 5th Floor, 32315 South Fraser Way, or by contacting the Election Office at 604-851-VOTE (8683), or by email at ElectionOffice@abbotsford.ca. The office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays).
Advance voter registrations will be accepted at the City of Abbotsford until August 28, 2018. Elector registrations will not be accepted during the period of August 28 to October 20, 2018, but will be accepted on voting days.
- Province of BC General Local Election information
- Province of BC "Thinking of Running for Local Office?"
- Elections BC General Local Elections
- 2014 Election Results
For more information, contact:
City of Abbotsford Election Office
Tel: 604-851-VOTE (8683)