City Of Abbotsford  
City Hall - Front Fountains 2

Bylaw FAQs

What services does the bylaw office provide?

The Bylaw Division attends to numerous calls for service every day. This service enhances the City’s safety, livability and beautification while also reducing the risk of liability to the City. Common bylaw infractions enforced by the Bylaw Division are:

  • Noise
  • Non-moving traffic violations on City streets and lands.
  • Signs
  • Unsightly Premises
  • Zoning (land use)

Back to top

What approach to bylaw enforcement does the City use?

Education is the foundation of the Division’s progressive by-law enforcement approach. The mandate is to achieve voluntary compliance with the City’s bylaws through:

  • Step 1: Community Education (posted traffic signs are considered education)
  • Step 2: Voluntary compliance on a case by case basis
  • Step 3: Formal legal proceedings (i.e. tickets)

Please note health, safety, or liability concerns necessitate more immediate action.

Back to top

What offences should I contact the Bylaw Office for?

Bylaw Services

Phone: 604-864-5512


Bylaw Officer core on duty hours are Monday through Saturday 7:15 am – 7:00 pm

Bylaw Office Hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

  • Abandoned/Vacant Properties
  • Audible Bird Scare Devices
  • Graffiti
  • Over height fence - See fences in residential areas for more information.
  • Noise from garbage collection
    • Garbage Collection is permitted during the following hours:
      • Monday to Saturday: 6:00 am - 10:00 pm
      • Sundays - 9:00 am: 10:00 pm
      • Statutory Holidays: 9:00 am - 10:00 pm
  • Noise from amplified music / loud music, parties, shouting / yelling, and/or noise related to a business
    • during the day - Bylaw Services - 604-864-5512
    • during the evening - Abbotsford Police: 604-859-5225
  • Parking and non-moving traffic concerns (i.e. parking in a no-parking zone)
  • Signs
  • Snow & ice from removal from sidewalks or footpaths bordering a property - Property Owners need to have these areas clear by 12:00 pm the day following the snow accumulation.
  • Unregistered secondary suite
  • Unsightly Premises (i.e. boulevard maintenance, overgrown lawn, garbage build-up)
  • Unauthorized use of land

Back to top

Who do I contact for other Bylaw Offences?

  • Audible bird scare devices 
    • Hours of Operation 
    • After Hours:
  • Breaching water restrictions - Engineering & Regional Utilities
  • To report construction without permits - Building Permits & Licences
  • Dogs - Impounded dogs, and noise from a barking dog - Animal Control and Licensing (FVRD)
    • Tel:  1-844-495-2273 or 604-856-7505  
    • Email
    • Dogs that are found roaming off leash in Abbotsford are taken to the FVRD animal control facility at 44820A Wolfe Road, Chilliwack.
    • Hours of operation: Monday - Saturday 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
    • For dangerous dog calls after hours please contact the Abbotsford Police non-emergency number at 604-859-5225  
  • Illegal dumping, garbage and litter on public property
  • Noise from a construction site - Business Permits & Licenses
    • Tel: 604-864-5525
    • Email:
    • Construction Noise is permitted during the following hours:
    • Monday to Saturday: 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
    • Sundays – 9:00 am to 9:00 pm 
    • Statutory Holidays – 9:00 am to 9:00 pm 
  • Strata Property Complaints
    • If you have a concern pertaining to a strata property you must forward your complaint to the management company or the strata council.
    • If you are not a resident of the strata property (i.e. you live at a neighbouring property), please contact Bylaw Services  
  • Tree Protection - including tree cutting and permits - Parks, Recreation & Culture
  • Moving traffic concerns - Abbotsford Police
    • Tel: 604-859-5225

Back to top