2021: Cooling Centres Available to Beat the Heat and Stay Safe
Note: This information bulletin content and details was posted in 2021 and is no longer current information. Current details pertaining to extreme weather will always be posted on our Website home page.
With extreme high temperatures forecasted for the Lower Mainland through Tuesday, there are a number of Cooling Centre and spray park options available in Abbotsford to help beat the heat. The health risk associated with acute exposure to heat can be extremely high. Everyone is encouraged to find a cool space to stay safe while these unprecedented temperatures for the Fraser Valley pass.
Cooling Centres are part of the City’s Extreme Weather Response Plan throughout the summer and include tents for shade, water, misting fans and cooling supplies. Cooling Centres run from 1 – 5 p.m. on days when the temperature exceeds 32 degrees or 30 degrees for consecutive days and are located at:
- Seven Oaks Alliance Church parking lot at 2575 Gladwin Road
- City-owned parking lot at 2495 West Railway Street
During this heat wave the following churches have opened as Cooling Centres to provide air conditioned spots for reprieve from the heat. Cold water is provided and attendees are asked to bring your own food.
- Heritage Alliance Church at 3440 Mt Lehman Road (12p.m. – 6 p.m. on Sunday – Tuesday)
- Cascade Community Church at 35190 Delair Road (1-6 p.m. on Sunday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Monday).
Note: The above locations were in effect for the June 2021 heat wave. Please refer to the Community Safety Tips page for current extreme heat and cooling centre information.
People are also welcome to visit the following locations for a short respite:
- Abbotsford Library at 33355 Bevan Ave (1-5 p.m. on Sunday and 9 a.m.- 6 p.m. on weekdays)
- Clearbrook Library at 32320 George Ferguson Way (10 a.m. – 5 p.m. on the weekend, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. on weekdays)
- Mount Lehman Library at 5875 Mount Lehman Road (1 p.m. – 5 p.m. on Tuesday - Friday)
- The Reach Gallery Museum at 32388 Veterans Way (12 – 5 p.m. on Tuesday)
Note: The above hours of operations were posted on June 27, 2021. Hours of operations are subject to change. Please refer to the Community Safety Tips page for current heat wave and cooling centre information
The City of Abbotsford has expanded our spray park hours. The following spray parks are operating from 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Spud Murphy Spray Park at 32285 Hillcrest Avenue
- Mill Lake Spray Park at 2310 Emerson Street
- Shadbolt Park Spray Park at 36086 Shadbolt Avenue
- during a heat wave
- Information for on heat related health risks
- Information for families with young on heat related health risks
- Information for
For more information, contact
Aletta VanderheydenCommunications and Public Relations ManagerCity of AbbotsfordE: T: 236-380-2617