- About the Compostables Consultation
- Stage 1 – Initial Consultation
- Stage 2 – Review Feedback & Further Consultation
- Stage 3 – Finalize Program Requirements
- Stage 4 – Program Implementation
- Contact Us
The City of Abbotsford is developing compostables consultation requirements that align with the proposed Fraser Valley Regional District initiative to implement sorting requirements across the region.
Residents in townhouses, condos, apartments and other multi-family residences as well as businesses in the City of Abbotsford will need to collect food waste separately from garbage and recyclables. Up to date information will be posted on this webpage so please check back often.
Stage 1 is now complete. Public consultation sessions were held in January and February 2018 so business owners, strata management organizations, property management companies, residents and waste service providers could provide feedback on the City’s proposed program requirements. The following presentations were given:
Consultation feedback was summarized and presented to Council in the Executive Meeting on April 23, 2018. A copy of the report and meeting minutes is provided below.
- ENG 021-2018, Compostables Consultation Update for the Multi-Family and ICI Sectors
- April 23, 2018 Executive Committee Minutes.
Stage 2 is currently in progress. The results from the community engagement in Stage 1 will be used to help develop program requirements. The City’s requirements will continue to be developed in partnership with the FVRD in order to realize synergies and ensure consistent messaging across the region. Further consultation with the multi-family and ICI sectors are proposed to include such factors such as implementation date and educational requirements. Keep posted for consultation session dates and times.
During Stage 3, focus will be placed on providing education and support to businesses and residents in preparation for program implementation. Public compostable collection workshops are proposed for 2018, and additional resources such as posters, signage and other educational information will be available once they are developed. Keep posted for workshop dates and times.
Program implementation will initially focus on education and support before gradually moving towards monitoring and enforcement. Program implementation timeline will be determined during Stage 2.
Whether you already have a compostables collection program in place at your location or are looking to implement one, there are many resources and information available to help you along the way:
- Guide to Compostables Collection for Multi-Family & ICI Sectors
- Frequently Asked Questions – Multi-Family Sector
- Frequently Asked Questions – ICI Sector
- City's Garbage, Recycling and Composting webpage
- Fraser Valley Regional District webpage
- Waste Wise website
- FVRD Solid Waste Management Plan Update 2016-2026
You can also find out what goes in your compostable waste, recycling or garbage by using one of the following resources:
- City of Abbotsford Waste Wizard
- Recycling Council of BC website
- Recycling Council of BC Recycling Hotline: 1-800-667-4321
Additional resources such as posters, signage and other educational information will be added once they are developed. Check back soon!
As the project moves forward, the webpage will be updated to reflect our progress, so please continue to check back.
For further information or if you have any questions or concerns, please contact us:
Engineering & Regional Utilities