Building permits are required before you begin work on your project. To apply for a permit, you will be required to provide information about your project in the form of plans and supporting documentation. Sufficient information is required to demonstrate that the proposed work will comply with all applicable Codes, Regulations, Bylaws and property encumbrances (e.g. rights-of-way, covenants, etc.).
- Permits are obtained through the Building Permits and Licences Division, and can not be applied for online.
- Periodically during the progress of permitted work and after you have completed work, you will also need to schedule inspections.
- The Certified Professional (CP) Program is recognized as a supplementary program to the plan review and field review building permit processes in the City of Abbotsford. For information refer to the Certified Professional Program Application Package.
Building Permit Types
The following are some of the basic procedural requirements for different types of permits. It is important to note that requirements vary depending on the work you are doing.
Fees and Charges
Fees and Charges for Building Permits are listed in detail in the City’s Fees and Charges Bylaw, 2006, (Schedule "G").
Please note: Effective June 27, 2022, fees associated with plumbing work will be charged to plumbing permit applicants on the plumbing permit. In some instances, fees for plumbing work have already been paid for on the building permit; fees already paid will not be charged again on the plumbing permit.
Depending on the type of permit, various other charges and securities (Development Cost Charges, Damage Deposits, etc.) may be applied. Fees and charges for building permits are dependent on a variety of factors including but not limited to type of project, location and services needed to complete the scope of work, it is not possible to provide a complete list of fees and charges prior to the review of the application.
The City’s Building staff is available to assist you in figuring out just what kind of permits and fees you will need in order to complete your project in a timely and cost-effective manner. Applicants are advised to wait for staff to complete the review before determining final permit fees.
You can also use our Building Permit Fee Estimator tool.
Building Staff Availability
In order to serve you better, and ensure all your questions are answered in a timely manner, the Building Department has designated specific times for phone and counter consultation. Clients are served on a first-come first-serve basis.
- For questions regarding specific applications in progress - Please contact your assigned Plan Reviewer directly to arrange a time to discuss your file.
- For general questions, not referring to a specific application already submitted - A Plan Reviewer is available to handle general phone enquiries between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.
- Questions for Building Inspectors - A Building Inspector is available for phone enquires between 4:00 pm and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.