The Fire Rescue Service is one of the most unique and challenging work environments known today. Auxiliary fire fighter's role is to support the full-time fire fighters during paged incidents. This support role is an important strategy in our duties to serve the community. The bottom line in our business is measured by the prevention of loss of life, pain and suffering, and property damage. If you feel you have what it takes to meet the challenges of our business, we welcome you to join us.
It is your responsibility to understand and meet the minimum qualifications before you submit your application. You will need to maintain your qualifications throughout the assessment processes. Failure to meet the minimum requirements will result in the rejection of your application file. If you are found to have falsified or intentionally misrepresented your credentials, your application file will be permanently closed. No future applications will be accepted from you.
- At least 19 years of age before the start of recruit training.
- Must reside in Abbotsford by the time recruit training starts.
Eligible for employment in Canada - You must be a Canadian citizen, a holder of a Permanent Resident Card, a Landed Immigrant or otherwise legally entitled to work in Canada (i.e., holder of a work visa).
- You must provide a copy of the following documents:
- A High School Diploma or equivalency - equivalencies can include a High School Equivalency Diploma (i.e., G.E.D.), or a two-year diploma, or an undergraduate/applied degree or journeyman certificate.
- A valid British Columbia driver's licence. (upload at the time of application)
- Current drivers abstract with minimal entries and no more than six (6) demerits/points for the past 5 years and no present suspensions or charges pending. Probationary or Graduated Driver’s licenses are accepted. (upload at the time of application)
- Basic First Aid certificate.
- CPR-Level C Certificate.
- Eligible to obtain a Criminal Record Check with no dispositions; required by Pre-training Preparation date.
The Fire Service views fitness as an integral component in firefighting due to the physical strain induced while performing operational tasks varies according to each person’s muscular strength/endurance, cardiovascular conditioning, motor coordination and flexibility.
- If you wear corrective lenses, please complete the Optometrist Form.
- Only Abbotsford residents are eligible to apply.
- Submitting an application does not guarantee entry into the selection process.
- The Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service will contact the applicant if and when the applicant is to commence the selection process. This contact can take up to six months, depending on the time of year and the recruiting needs for Auxiliary Fire Fighters. Please be assured that if you meet our minimum requirements, we will contact you at the appropriate time.
- Selected applicants will be invited to the written examination.
- Successful applicants will move forward to the interview/lung testing process.
- Only applicants who pass the written examination will be invited to complete the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT).
- For more information, please review the Auxiliary Recruitment Application Manual
- Auxiliary Firefighter Recruitment Schedule - available only during recruitment
- Online applications only (No Resumes are accepted)
The Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service will contact the applicant if and when the applicant is to commence the selection process. This contact can take up to six months, depending on the time of year and the recruiting needs for Auxiliary Fire Fighters. Please be assured that if you meet our minimum requirements, we will contact you at the appropriate time.
Back to top