The purpose of the Fence Cost Share program
is to provide an outline of conditions relating to cost sharing of private fencing adjacent to municipal parks and pedestrian walkways.Policy
As a “Good Neighbour” the City of Abbotsford will consider cost sharing the installation of fences constructed on residential properties shared with municipal parks and /or pedestrian walkways.Fence Cost Share Application Form
- Various fencing heights and styles will be considered although chain-link style is preferred. Should the property owner wish to have direct access to a municipal park, a standard personal gate may be installed at the property owner’s expense. Provision of a gate, locks, or other means of security will be the owner’s sole responsibility. Vehicle gates are not permitted, except in special circumstances.
- Fence construction must not commence until the application form, signed by the applicant, indicating that the fence will be constructed in accordance with municipal specifications, has been received and approved in writing by a Parks Manager.
- The Municipality will not install any fences. Property owners are expected (after municipal approval is given) to retain three quotes and arrange for construction of the fence, pay the entire cost, and then submit a claim for reimbursement of the municipal share. Fences must be installed on, or slightly inside, the residential side
- of the property line. Once constructed, the fence is considered to belong to the property owner, and the property owner will be responsible for future maintenance.
- Property owners who qualify to upgrade or install new fences will receive a reimbursement of up to a maximum of $30 per linear metre from the City of Abbotsford, or 50% of the fencing cost, whichever is the lesser amount.
- Receipts and paid invoices for all associated fencing costs must be submitted with the property owner’s claim for reimbursement. Reimbursement of municipal share of costs will be made after the City of Abbotsford has performed an inspection and is satisfied with the fence installation.
For further information about this program, please contact Abbotsford Parks, Recreation & Culture:
32315 South Fraser Way, Abbotsford, BC V2T 1W7
Fence Cost Share Application Form