Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service Requirements
The Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service is committed to promoting public safety at special events and encourages organizers, sponsors and vendors to be familiar with fire and life-safety practices and procedures.
Event organizers occupying any portion of the City of Abbotsford Parks, Recreation & Culture facilities are responsible to complete in addition to the required special event approval by Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service and any other needed permits from the appropriate City of Abbotsford departments or Health services.
The event organizer must supply each vendor with all information required for loading in and out of the special event. The event organizer will be responsible for maintaining compliance of fire and safety codes by onsite vendors.
Please complete the special Event Approval application required by Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service and ensure it is brought into the Fire Hall 1 for endorsement by the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service, Fire Prevention Division at least 2 weeks prior to the start of your event. Please do not fax the application.
- Vendors will comply with all fire and safety regulations at all times while participating in special events. They should be ready for a fire inspection one hour before the start of event or at any time throughout the duration of the event.
- Vendors will work with the event organizer to comply with rules for loading in and out of the event.
- Fire lanes must be kept clear at all times after the allotted loading time.
- Food vendors must familiarize themselves with the regulations.
- Contact the Fire Prevention Division for any clarification of these responsibilities.
Fire Prevention Inspector may attend your event before and during the activity for the safety of life and property.
All tents must conform to the BC Building Code and the BC Fire Code. They must be of sufficient distance from one another to provide an area to be used as an emergency exit. Tents will not cover not more than 75 per cent of the premises, unless otherwise approved by the authority having jurisdiction.
Other tent requirements include:
- A building permit is required for a temporary tent if the area exceeds 55 square meters (592 square feet) or if it is occupied for more than three days.
- Tent materials must conform to NFPA 701 “Fire Tests for Flame-resistant Textiles and Films” or be treated with product bearing the CAN/ULC-S109-M, “Flame Tests of Flame-Resistant Fabrics and Films” certification.
- Areas not less than three metres outside the structure must be cleared of all flammable material or vegetation.
- Combustible materials, such as hay, straw and shavings, will not be permitted within a tent unless approved by the authority having jurisdiction.
- Portable extinguishers must be provided for the protection of occupants and the building structure.
- No cooking that produces grease/oily vapours will be allowed inside tents without an approved ventilation system.
For more information contact the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service, Fire Prevention Division at 604-853-3566 or visit at Fire Hall 1.