The Secondary School Fire Academy is a program designed to meet the requirements and parameters of the Secondary Graduation Program where students are required to complete 100 hours of career related work.
Several students have expressed an interest in fire fighting as a career; however, they may have little knowledge of the skills and training required for this career choice. The Secondary School Fire Academy will allow the students to learn about, and practice some of the skills and training fire fighters must undertake. In addition, the students will learn information that will enhance their current skills and knowledge, particularly in physical training, teamwork and mechanical aptitude.
The students selected for the Secondary School Fire Academy will have the opportunity to participate in Rescue Techniques, Auto Extrication, and Certification in C.P.R., Fire Prevention, Fire Extinguisher Use, Live Fire and Physical Training. The participants will be selected from the Secondary Graduation Program and will be screened by the school and Fire Rescue personnel.
Their sponsor teacher will deliver two online exams one relating to mathematical skills and the other relating to English.
To be eligible to participate in this program students must complete the online application attach a resume under the guidance and supervision of thier sponsoring teacher or school career coordinator.
- All applicants will be screened at their school for suitability for this program.
- Screening of the applicants by Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service personnel.
- Written aptitude and mechanical test administered by the school personnel.
- Interview with the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service Selection Committee.
The Fire Chief will have the final approval of all selected participants.
Students failing to meet all of the criteria listed below will be disqualified from the program.
Criteria for applicants
- Current Grade 11 or 12 students.
- Minimum 16 years of age.
- An active student in the Abbotsford schools and also resident of Abbotsford.
- Minimum C+ grade average.
- Good homework ethic.
- Reference from a teacher or the school.
- Physically and medically fit (doctor’s certificate may be required).
- Parental permission and waiver completed.
- If the student has a driver’s license, it must have no more than 6.0 points.
- No criminal record.
- Interest in fire fighting as a career choice.
Incomplete or Inaccurate Applications Will Not Be processed. Supply All Information Requested.
This Application must be completed under the guidance of your school career coordinator or supervising teacher.
Prior to starting the application ensure you have completed the following:
- Mechanical Aptitude Exam (Contact your school career coordinator or supervising teacher to complete this test and save a copy to upload with your application)
- Scholastic Exam (Contact your school career coordinator or supervising teacher to complete this test and save a copy to upload with your application)
- Resume (copy to upload with your application)
- Parental/Guardian Liability Waiver Form - Print and have your parent/guardian sign - scan (if available) and upload, or fax it to 604-853-8452.
The application intake for this year's Secondary Fire Academy is now complete. please apply next year in November.
For More Information Reveiw Secondary School Fire Academy Brochure
Online Application must be submitted under the guidance and supervision of the sponsoring teachers or the school career coordinator. Any questions about this program should be forwarded to the school career coordinator.