A major Official Community Plan (OCP) amendment and rezoning application was received in April 2010 for the properties known locally as the Vicarro Ranch (35220 Cassiar Avenue, 3001 Whatcom Road and 36218 Sandringham Drive) which total approximately 155 hectares (383 acres). This proposal is the single largest application received, in terms of the area under application and the number of residential units proposed, within the City of Abbotsford in over a decade. The applicant’s preliminary concept for the property is illustrated in their preliminary site plan.
The applicant’s agent, New Town Services submitted, on their client’s behalf, a development application proposing approximately 1400 residential units, consisting of a mix of both multi-family (apartments and townhouses), duplexes, and single family residential. The highlights of their proposal are as follows;
- Approximately 300 additional residential units are proposed, as compared to the current OCP, an increase of approximately 30%;
- Approximately 75% of the units being proposed are in some form of multi-family construction whereas the current OCP estimated approximately 65% of the units would be multifamily construction;
- Multi-family apartment development at between four (4) and six (6) storeys are proposed, which wasn’t originally contemplated when the area plan for the Vicarro Ranch lands was incorporated into the OCP in the late 1990’s;
- Approximately 60% of the subject lands will either be park, remain in their natural condition under City or other public agency ownership, or be subject to Section 219 ‘no disturbance’ Restrictive Covenant controls due to either preservation of wildlife habitat, protection of species-at-risk, or due to topographic and/or geotechnical constraints. The current OCP anticipated this to be approximately 40% of the subject lands.
Applicant's Consultants Reports
Preliminary Site Plan prepared by New Town Services
Traffic Impact Assessment Report prepared by EBA Engineering Consultants Ltd.
Wildlife Habitat Assessment Report prepared by Enkon Environmental Limited
Proposed Watercourse Classification & Preliminary Setback Recommendations prepared by Enkon Environmental Limited
Preliminary Access Plan prepared by Khangura Engineering Ltd.
Public Information Meeting
A Public Information Meeting was held on March 10, 2011 from 6-8pm at Prince Charles Elementary. The meeting focused on obtaining feedback/input from residents in the surrounding neighbourhoods. The applicant's presentation boards from that meeting are provided for those who werent'a ble to attend the meeting.
Anticipated Next Steps
- Executive Committee Meeting
The date is yet to be determined following the public information meeting. A staff report will be prepared that summarizes the public feedback/input and will include copies of all comment sheets received from the public.
- Executive Committee Decision
The committee will decide whether the project is permitted to continue forward further into the review/approval process towards holding a public hearing for consideration of their OCP amendment and Rezoning bylaws. The Executive Committee may at their discretion impose other conditions/requirements, or require other public input processes be completed prior to holding the public hearing.
- Staff preparation of Report to Council for consideration of 1st reading by Council;
- Public Hearing.
Applicant Contact Information
New Town Services (Malindi Elmore or Keith Funk)
1450 Pandosy Street
Kelowna, BC V1Y 1P3
Manager of Development Planning for Vicarro Ranch
Darren Braun, Director of Development Planning
Economic Development & Planning Services
Tel: 604-864-5509 (direct)