Changes Coming to Noise Regulations
The City of Abbotsford is proposing changes to noise regulations. Noise is an important issue for many people and contributes to a healthy and safe living environment and quality of life.
The proposed changes to the Sound Regulation Bylaw include:
- Removing noise regulation from the City’s Good Neighbour Bylaw and creating a new stand-alone sound regulation bylaw that is more comprehensive and objective.
- Establishing two ‘Noise Districts’ in the City:
- Activity District, which permits industrial and commercial uses and the accompanying noise.
- Quiet District, which restricts industrial and commercial noise levels and designates specific times which restrict noise levels.
- Shifting to an objective measurement of permitted noise levels, including a reliable and practical approach for the enforcement of the bylaw.
- Establishing subjective criteria for cases where noise measurement may be impractical.
Residents and businesses had opportunity for input and comment regarding the proposed changes to noise regulations at the Executive Committee Meeting on April 24, 2017.
More information is available in the report to council