What services does the bylaw office provide?
The Bylaw Division attends to numerous calls for service every day. This service enhances the City’s safety, livability and beautification while also reducing the risk of liability to the City. Common bylaw infractions enforced by the Bylaw Division are:
- Non-moving traffic violations on City streets and lands.
- Unsightly Premises
- Zoning (land use)
Back to top
What approach to bylaw enforcement does the City use?
Education is the foundation of the Division’s progressive by-law enforcement approach. The mandate is to achieve voluntary compliance with the City’s bylaws through:
- Step 1: Community Education (posted traffic signs are considered education)
- Step 2: Voluntary compliance on a case by case basis
- Step 3: Formal legal proceedings (i.e. tickets)
Please note health, safety, or liability concerns necessitate more immediate action.
Back to top
What offences should I contact the Bylaw Office for?
Bylaw Officer core on duty hours are Monday through Saturday 8:00am – 6:00pm
Bylaw Office Hours are Monday through Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Abandoned/Vacation Properties
- Audible Bird Scare Devices
- Illegal dumping on public property
- Over height fence - See fences in residential areas for more information.
- Noise from garbage collection
- Garbage Collection is permitted during the following hours:
- Monday to Saturday: 6:00am - 10:00pm
- Sundays - 9:00am: 10:00pm
- Statutory Holidays: 9:00am - 10:00pm
- Noise from amplified music / loud music, parties, shouting / yelling, and/or noise related to a business
- during the day - Bylaw Services - 604-864-5512
- during the evening - Abbotsford Police: 604-859-5225
- Parking and non-moving traffic concerns (i.e. parking in a no-parking zone)
- Snow & ice from removal from sidewalks or footpaths bordering a property - Property Owners need to have these areas clear by 12:00pm the day following the snow accumulation.
- Unregistered secondary suite
- Unsightly Premises (i.e. boulevard maintenance, overgrown lawn, garbage build-up)
- Unauthorized use of land
Back to top
Who do I contact for other Bylaw Offences?
- Audible bird scare devices
- Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday 8:30am-4:30pm, excluding Statutory Holidays
- Tel: 604-864-5512
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- After Hours:
- Breaching water restrictions - Engineering & Regional Utilities
- To report construction without permits - Building Permits & Licences
- Dogs - Impounded dogs, and noise from a barking dog - Animal Control and Licensing (FVRD)
- Tel: 1-844-495-2273 OR 604-856-7505
- Email email@example.com
- Dogs that are found roaming off leash in Abbotsford are taken to the FVRD animal control facility at 44820A Wolfe Road, Chilliwack.
- Hours of operation: Monday - Saturday 9:00am – 4:30pm
- For dangerous dog calls after hours please contact the Abbotsford Police non-emergency number at 604-859-5225
- Garbage and litter on public property - Engineering Operations Yard
- Noise from a construction site - Business Permits & Licenses
- Tel: 604-864-5525
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Construction Noise is permitted during the following hours:
- Monday to Saturday: 7:00am - 9:00pm
- Sundays – 9:00am to 9:00pm
- Statutory Holidays – 9:00am to 9:00pm
- Strata Property Complaints
- If you have a concern pertaining to a strata property you must forward your complaint to the management company or the strata council.
- If you are not a resident of the strata property (i.e. you live at a neighbouring property), please contact Bylaw Services
- Tree Protection - including tree cutting and permits - Parks, Recreation & Culture
- Moving traffic concerns - Abbotsford Police
- Reporting Semi Trucks for using their engine brakes in areas where the use of engine brakes is prohibited - Abbotsford Police
Back to top